UNESCO Chair on Medicinal and Bio-Organic Natural Product Chemistry
About the Chair
|UNESCO CHAIR PROGRAMME
The UNESCO Chairs Programme promotes international inter-university cooperation and networking to enhance institutional capacities through knowledge sharing and collaborative work. The Programme supports the establishment of UNESCO Chairs Networks in key priority areas related to UNESCO’s fields of competence. Today, 170 of the University Chairs included in the UNESCO Chairs programme are related to Natural Sciences.
The ICCBS as a part of University of Karachi is proud that a Chair of this prestige, a Chair which takes a global and cross disciplinary lead on such an important discipline of Science is designated at the ICCBS, University of Karachi under the expertise and advocacy of the leadership of the ICCBS.
Meet the Chair Holder
Renowned Pakistani scientist and Director of the International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences (ICCBS), University of Karachi, Prof. Dr. M. Iqbal Choudhary has been appointed the UNESCO Chair on Medicinal and Bio-Organic Natural Product Chemistry.
This is the first international UNESCO Chair in the field of Medicinal and Bio-Organic Natural Product Chemistry and this would help Pakistan become a center of excellence in this important area of research, especially to address the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The UNESCO Chair is a huge honor for Pakistan and is a recognition of Prof. Dr. Iqbal work in the research and development of the Medicinal and Bioorganic Natural Product Chemistry. As a chair holder, Prof. Iqbal will promote research, training, information and documentation on natural medicinal and bio-organic product chemistry.
Prof. Dr. M. Iqbal Choudhary is the Distinguish/National Meritorious Professor and Director at International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences (H. E. J. Research Institute of Chemistry and Dr. Panjwani Center for Molecular Medicine and Drug Research). He is also Coordinator General COMSTECH. He is among the most prominent scientists of Pakistan, recognized for his original contributions in the fields of natural products and bioorganic chemistry.
He is among the most prominent scientists of Pakistan, recognized for his original contributions in the fields of natural products and bioorganic chemistry. He has written and edited 76 books, most of which have been published in USA and Europe. He is also the author of over 1,175 research papers and chapters in top international science journals of the West, as well as 40 US patents. This is by far the largest number of quality publications from any scientist in Pakistan.
He has been among the most cited scientists of Pakistan in last five years with citations exceeding 27,407 (h-Index: 68). Prof. Choudhary has won several national and international awards, such as Hilal-e-Imtiaz, Sitara-e-Imtiaz and Tamgha-e-Imtiaz by the President of Pakistan, Pakistan. Academy of Sciences Gold Medal, National Book Foundation Prize on best book and the Third World Academy of Sciences Young Scientist Prize.
He received the prestigious title of “Distinguished National Professor” from the Higher Education Commission in 2004 and Meritorious Professor by the University of Karachi 2013. He is a member and fellow of many prestigious societies including Fellow of The Academy of Sciences for the Developing World, Islamic Academy of Sciences, Chemical Society of Pakistan.
Updates of the Chair
Pakistani scientist Dr. Muhammad Iqbal Choudhary has won this year’s Mustafa Prize International, widely considered the equivalent of the Nobel prize in the Muslim world.
The top science and technology award is granted biennially to top researchers and scientists of the Islamic world. It was set up in 2012 “to appreciate prominent scientists and provide the ground for scientific cooperation and development worldwide.”
Dr. Choudhary is a natural products chemist at the International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences (ICCBS) at the University of Karachi. He is among world leaders in the field of natural product chemistry, and has discovered many potent anti-epileptic and anti-leishmanial compounds from indigenous medicinal plants that are under clinical trials.
“As a chemist, I have been truly fascinated by the immense chemical diversity present in plants,” Dr. Choudhary was quoted as saying in a statement published on the Mustafa Prize website.
“Our work and work of other scientists have firmly established the importance of medicinal plants as the most important source of new drug entities, and in many cases scientifically substantiated their traditional uses,” he said.
Dr. Choudhary said his dream was to establish a multidisciplinary International Center for Tropical and Neglected Diseases.
“This center will fulfill my dream of creating a world-class research facility with sustainable funding and global network of satellite laboratories to study the causes and treatment of innumerable tropical and neglected diseases,” he said.
15th International Symposium on Natural Product Chemistry (ISNPC-15) to be held in Karachi, Pakistan during February 21 – 24, 2022.
It gives us an immense pleasure to invite you to attend the 15th International Symposium on Natural Product Chemistry (ISNPC-15) to be held in Karachi, Pakistan. Over 800 eminent scientists and young researchers from 45 countries are expected to participate in this symposium which is recognized as one of the most prestigious international events in the field of natural product sciences.
Pakistan is a fascinating country, full of vitality, cultural diversity, rich history, natural beauty, and culinary delights. From Forbes to solo bloggers, Pakistan has been enlisted as one of the top destinations for global tourism. We hope the dynamic and magical spirit of Pakistan’s largest city, Karachi will be conducive to provide milieus, stimulating exchange of scientific knowledge between scientists in the field of chemical sciences from all over the world. It is also hoped that this symposium will foster stronger research ties between the scientists representing different regions.
On behalf of the organizing committee, we wish to extend you all, a very warm welcome to Karachi.
For further details:
Lectures delivered by UNESCO Chair Prof. Dr. Iqbal Choudhary
- Online Lecture in International Conference on COVID-19 Pandemic, Bandung, West Java, Indonesia, February 23-25, 2021, Entitled, “Changing Calamity Into Opportunity-OIC Response to COVID-19”.
- Welcome Note in Conference on Biodiversity Under the Patronage of His Royal Highness Prince El-Hassan bin Talal Founding Patron of the Islamic World Academy of Science (IAS), IAS and COMSTECH, April 01, 2021.
- Chief Guest in Two Day International Seminar, Reflection of COVID-19 and Way Forward, Government College University Hyderabad, Sindh , April 9-10, 2021.
- Online Plenary Lecture in American Society for Microbiology, COVID-19 Pandemic and Role of Microbiologist, April 28, 2021, Entitled, “Current COVID-19 Situation: India vs Pakistan.
- Online Lecture in Department of Chemistry, University of Airlangga, Surabaya, Indonesia, Basic Principle an Application of Nuclear magnetic Resonance (NMR) May 19, 2021, Entitled, “Determination of Organic Molecule Structure”. (Lecture Series No. 1).
- Online Lecture in Department of Chemistry, University of Airlangga, Surabaya, Indonesia, Basic Principle an Application of Nuclear magnetic Resonance (NMR) May 20, 2021, Entitled, “Determination of Organic Molecule Structure”. (Lecture Series No. 2).
- Lecture in Webinar Topic: Tropical Medicine and Natural Product, COMSTECH-LIPI International Webinar, June 02, 2021, Entitled, “Natural Based Drug Discovery-Some Examples of our Work”.
- Lecture in Webinar Topic: Natural Products: A Sustainable Source of Drug Molecules, Department of Public Health, Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, College of Agriculture and Veterinary Sciences, University of Nairobi at 50th Year Celebrations, University of Nairobi, Nairobi, June 04, 2021, Entitled, “Natural Products: A Sustainable Source of Drug Molecules”.
- Lecture in Sino-Pakistan Symposium on Traditional Chinese Medicine-Traditional Unani Medicine and Unveiling Ceremony of the “Sino-Pakistan Cooperation Center for Traditional Chinese Medicine”, 70th Anniversary for the Establishment of Diplomatic Relations between China and Pakistan, June 09, 2021, International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences (ICCBS), University of Karachi, Karachi, Pakistan, Entitled, “Research and Development of Traditional Medicine: Some Example from our Work”.
- Online Plenary Lecture in Theme Seminar on Sustainable Development Through Chemical Sciences, Institute of Chemistry Ceylon, 50th Annual Session 2021, ,Rajagiriya, Sri Lanka, June 28, 2021, Entitled, “Natural Products –A Sustainable Source of Therapeutics and Nutraceuticals”.
- Online Plenary Lecture in 3rd Research Conference of the College of Biochemists of Sri Lanka, Theme: Natural Products as Anti-Cancer Agents, Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medical Science, University of Sri Jayawardenepura. Nugegoda, Sri Lanka, July 24, 2021, Entitled, “Natural Products –As a Potential Therapeutic Source of the Discovery of Anti-Cancer Molecules”.
- Online Plenary Lecture in Regional Road Transport Safety & Security Management Conference, ASIA University of Nottingham Malaysia in-partnership with e-Response (Malaysia) and OPCW, October October 4-8, 2021, Entitled, “Chemical Safety and Security Culture in Developing World Perspective”.
- Online Lecture in Department of Chemistry &Chemistry Student Association (HIMAKI), University of Airlangga, Surabaya, Indonesia, October 09, 2021, Entitled, “How to become student with International Standard”.
- Online Lecture in The 1st International Conference on Applied Science, Mathematics, and Technology Faculty of Science and Technology, University of Airlangga, Surabaya, Indonesia, October 14, 2021, Entitled, “Natural Products –Potential Sources of Therapeutic Molecules”.
- Lecture in 8th Brazilian Conference on Natural Products (BCNP) and XXXIV XXXIV Meeting on Micromolecular Evolution, Division of Natural Products of the Brazilian Chemical Society (SBQ)-Brazil, November 9-12, 2021, Entitled, “Nature-based Drug Discovery - Past, Present, and Future”.
- Attended the ICGEB Board of Governors, Trieste, Italy, November 18-19, 2021.
- Online Lecture in International Conference on Bioactive Natural Products in Memory of Prof. Dr. Ayhan Ulubelen, Bezmialem Vakıf University, Istanbul, Turkey, November 30, 2021, Entitled, “Bioactive Natural Products and Biocatalytic Structural Modification for Drug Discovery”.
- Chief Guest in First Virtual Pakistan Congress of Zoology 2021, Sindh Agriculture University, Tandojam, Sindh, Pakistan, December 14, 2021.
- Lecture in 19th International and 31st National Chemistry Conference on Emerging Trends in Chemistry- 2nd CCUMT-2021, University of Management & Technology (UMT), Lahore, Pakistan, December 16-18, 2021, Entitled, “Nature Based Drug Discovery – Current and Future Perspective”.
|International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences
University of Karachi - Karachi - 75270 Pakistan.
Phone: + 92 21 99261701-2, 34824930,34,36, 34824901-02.
Fax: + 92 21 34819018-9, 99261713-4.